Sunday, July 08, 2007

Habitat for Humanity/Birthday Party

Had a marvellous day today. Volunteered to help at a Habitat for Humanity site with my church. Of course, when I volunteered I did not realise it would be 90 degrees in the shade, well actually there was no shade - it was hot. Got to the site - at last- as of course I get lost along the way, turned left instead of right, who would have thought it but arrived about 10 minutes after everyone else. Put on my work gloves and proceeded to hang around not sure of what to do next. Discovered I have absolutely no skills regarding building a house so ended up making sure everyone had enough water to drink and holding bits of wood and plastic while Wendell cut them to size. Apart from the heat and as everyone knows as an ex Brit if it gets over 75 I have serious warmth issues it was a great morning. The prospective homeowner was there putting in her sweat equity, very nice lady and so grateful to Habitat. So I have already decided to sign up for the next day in September. Back home for a long soak in a luke warm bath finally getting my temperature back to normal and then a nice nap. I love naps, I do them so well.

Finished off the day at Cheryl and Nick's place for a wonderful birthday/anniversary/what the heck party at their place. Sitting out on the deck next to the waterfall in the shade with a lovely breeze blowing eating delicious food and drink, you know it does not get a lot better than that. Met some extremely interesting not to say funny people, had a blast. Then home to see if the new airconditioner work, and yah it does so house much cooler, so was able to switch of a/c and open all doors and windows for the cool night air to filter through the house. Lovely.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

lol! you know, you're gonna melt if you ever come to see me during the summer in AZ. i'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

Pauline said...

I think summer is probably not an option. :)

Emrys said...

Nah it's not that bad. Once it reachs 100, you don't really notice the change anymore :)