Monday, October 23, 2006

"Arty" Weekend

I had the pleasure of having my wonderful son, Emrys, down to stay with me this weekend and it turned out to be quite hectic. Friday night we went to a friend of mine's art opening, she does collages and they were quite, quite beautiful, some amazing ones done with an Asian theme. Then the next night I dragged him along to play Bunco. What a hoot!!! He really enjoyed himself although he got a tad concerned when he accidently took his pen with him to the next table - things got a little nasty (all in good fun of course) and I tied with another lady and won $6. Gambling will be the death of me!!! Oh nearly forgot before we headed out to Bunco Em and I took a trip up to the top of Palmer Park. I have not been there in years. He took a couple of photos which he posted to his blog. I love the one looking through a fence to see the clouds. Anyhoo, back to Sunday. I took him with me to an art showing. Its sort of along the lines of a Tupperware party but with original art. Some of it was very lovely and then again some of it was ick!! I am definitely not a fan of cowboy pictures and/or elk or deer. Doesnt do much for me but thats what makes the world go round, right, everyone has different tastes. I fell in love with a small oil painting in the style of Van Gogh of a pitcher with iris in it. So of course I ordered it. I am going to have a party so possibly I can get a discount on another picture. Even Em was struck by some of the art, especially some of the water colors. No pictures of Elvis or Jesus on black velvet which I personally think is a good thing.

I am always struck when I am around my children about how much I showed them about "life" not necessarily by my words but by my actions and it was definitely not a good thing all the time. I am deeply saddened by some of the things I "taught" them such as doing anything to maintain a relationship even it is is dreadful, abusive and just plain wrong - anything is better than staying alone. How not to manage money! How to live in fear of what might happen and paralizing oneself with thoughts of awful things that might happen most of which never did materialize but the amount of time I wasted worrying..... enough said. However, I am so proud of Fi and Em and even though I was not always the best role model around how much they took what life dealt them and ran with it. My daughter is amazing in her courage, sense of adventure and just plain "hutspah" - think thats the word- in her quest to discover where she wants to live and what she want to learn. My son is amazing in that he is dealing with a situation in his life which he is not shying away from and is actively seeking help in seeing what his part is and what to learn from it. Both of them are extremely creative with excellent senses of humor. I am blessed on a daily basis to have them be part of my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah... shocks

Emrys said...

Good post mom. Your getting the idea now. : )