Sunday, January 07, 2007

New Home

I love the little house I live in and if I could transport it to another place I would but I cant and I am not pretending anymore that the neighborhood I live in feels safe. It doesnt. I live in the Knob Hill area. It is good to be so close to downtown but something else has to be better. So... I am thinking of becoming a mobile home owner. There is a little well little 35 acre mobile home park on Sinton Road, well back from the highway, been around for about 35 years. It is only open to 55 and older. I have been there 3 times to check out some homes and its very well kept and run, really nice homes. You would have laughed at the second place I visited though. When I told Fi and Em that I was looking they were horrified - shades of My Life with Earl I think they thought. You know, the kind of thing, beat up pickup trucks in the yard, cars without wheels on bricks and the various shooting most evenings. Well the second place I went to see was a beautiful home or should have been but had not been looked after, the lady of the house arrived at the door coughing with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth and vicious terrier barking his head off and a really messy house which she told us she had worked very hard to pick up. Did not stay long in that house - turns out the park has asked her to leave as they have had numerous complaints about her barking dog. The next place we went to was a total contast, just like a normal (?) home. Lovely deck well kept yard, well all the yards are really well kept even the dog lady's place but out of my price range $25,000. I would have to put down $2500 and then get the rest financed which I believe I could do but dont have enough for the downpayment and thats okay. The home that I am thinking of getting would be a perfect size for me. It has a circular kitchen which looks like something out of the Jetsons. I love it. I am already thinking of how to decorate using 60s stuff and lo and behold pickup up a magazine yesterday with just the kind of thing I needed to give me ideas and colors - so am really excited to start. Anyway, maybe its a sign of getting a little older but I am past neighborhoods with screaming kids, loud cars and messy neighbors, enough chaos. Boy, that does sound like I am getting old doesn't it.

My own prejudices were rather disconcerting to get over. At first I was quite reluctant to share with everyone that I was looking at a mobile home park - but the more I have seen of this particular park and the homes the more I can see myself there. One attraction is that I could walk the dog in my own neighborhood. I truly dont like doing that here. How sad is that.

No comments: